Sunday, July 22, 2007

"The Name" has been decreed

What started with the first page of "100,000 Baby Names" has been whittled down to one. This is what happened:
  • 89 names from Jessica
  • 78 names from Barry
  • Dozens from family
We combined the ones that appeared on more than one list, along with the ones we (together) wanted to be "in the running", into a single list and began whittling them down.
  • Round One - each protect 10 and scratch 5 (although I magnanimously allowed Jessica to scratch an extra one). The name we picked was protected by Jessica
  • Round Two - same thing, except this time we both protected her eventual name
  • Round Three - ditto, and ditto
  • Round Four - we protected 10 each, but put the remainder up for discussion (ie: whacking); interestingly, I was the one who protected the name
  • Round Five - the time arrived...Jessica scratched my favorite (Lydia) immediately, I cherished no illusions. Scratch, scratch, scratch on the way back home until only two are left: Gabrielle/Gabriella and....
  • ...and then, last night, celebrating our Second Anniversary, we pulled the trigger.
Meet Caroline Marguerite Brandes, soon-to-be newest member of the Caruso/Brandes club. We chose her middle name to honor Jessica's grandmother (that's "grandmère" in lingua Franca). Now that THAT'S out of the way, let's keep on keeping on...just a couple months or so left to go until I can't sleep in on Saturday's any more. Sigh.

2 comments:

Cate, Hank, Brady & Owen said...

Hey! Another blogging dork! Welcome, welcome. So, I guess you're having a girl. Congrats! If you are having a boy, I should tell you Caroline is a terrible name for a boy!

David Seabourn Artistic Finishes and Design said...

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the world Caroline. Unfortunately, it has been 3 whoe days since your glorious birth and your daddy has yet to introduce you to the world :) Slacker!